The Trelleborg Sealing Solutions FoodPro® range is a comprehensive portfolio of polymer-based materials specifically designed to meet the unique requirements of the food and beverage industry. Alongside FoodPro®, a number of other materials from our standard range can be used in food contact applications. Implementation of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) ensures the ultimate in production efficiency and safety.
The FoodPro® material range is a continuously expanding portfolio of materials, specially designed to meet the needs of the food and beverage industry. The range includes standard elastomers like EPDM, NBR and FKM, Isolast® FFKM and respective plastics Turcon® PTFE and Zurcon® Poly Ethylene. FoodPro® materials are available for standard and custom-designed seals, bearings and components across the globe. Local Trelleborg Sealing Solutions engineers support with seal design to meet hygienic design requirements.
Material compatibility and cleanability are paramount
The sealing environment within food and beverage processing is perhaps the most demanding of all. Seal failure can lead to potential contamination or line stoppages. Materials, whether elastomer or plastics, have to cope with a broad variety of food types along with Cleaning in Place (CIP) and Sterilization in Place (SIP). FoodPro® materials offer proven high sealing performance and are suitable for CIP and SIP processes used in the food industry.
Compliance with regulatory requirements
Sealing materials must also be compliant with food contact material regulations in different countries. FoodPro® materials comply with the most relevant food contact regulations globally such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, European Food Contact Regulations including Reg. (EC) 1935/2004, Chinese food safety standards and the Japanese Positive List released in 2020.
>> Find out more about compliance
Tools & Resources
Industry specific compounds meet application requirements
Ethylene Propylene Diene Rubber (EPDM) polymers are fully saturated, unpolar hydrocarbon-based elastomers. Their polymer geometry gives them superior compatibility with polar fluids even at elevated temperatures.
The materials demonstrate:
- High chemical resistance
- Long life in polar solvents, hot water and steam
- Suitability with alkaline and acidic cleaners
- Excellent choice in most dairy applications, except for products with high fat content
O-Ring, Kantseal square rings, FlatSealTM, Gaskets, Diaphragms, also reinforced. EPDM can also be bonded to other materials and delivered as engineered parts in almost any design.
Used in almost all types of applications as a universal material, suitable both in cleaning and sterilization processes (CIP/ SIP).
Typical applications are filling, dispensing, pumps, pipe and flange gaskets, valves, quick connectors, tanks, separators, homogenizers, decanters and heat exchangers.
Trelleborg Sealing Solutions has optimized the performance of our Fluoroelastomer (FKM) material range, to meet the specific criteria of the processing industry.
FKM materials demonstrate:
- Good elevated temperature characteristics
- Very good suitability for use in contact with vegetable oil and fat, animal fat and high fat dairy products
- Good compatibility with most CIP media and SIP conditions and lubricants
- Good resistance against ozone and aging
Silicone and Liquid Silicone Rubber
Silicone materials are ideal for use in food and beverage production due to their inherent inertness to growth of bacteria, mold and fungi.
Advantages of silicone:
- Excellent heat resistance, cold flexibility and dielectric properties
- Preferred choice in applications exposed to ozone and oxygen
- Operating temperature from -60°C to +200°C / -76°F to +392°F
- Exceptionally low surface energy, seals will not adhere to counterparts.
- Low long-term compression set
- Suitable for use with hot water, fat and oil, some lubricants and glycerin.
A possible limitation of silicone is that chemical degradation can occur in contact with acids, alkalis, ketones, esters and steam above 100°C / 212°F.
Turcon® is the Trelleborg Sealing Solutions brand of proprietary Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) based compounds.
- Excellent friction and self-lubricating characteristics
- Suitability for dynamic and rotating applications, including those with abrasive media and countersurfaces
- Outstanding performance in low and high temperature environments
- Compatibility with almost all chemicals
Turcon® FoodPro® MF designed for processing needs
Turcon® FoodPro® MF1, MF2, MF3 and MF6 have been formulated to meet special requirements of the food and beverage processing industries. Based on ultra-clean technology, these compounds are manufactured from high-purity PTFE grades and additives. Their smooth finish, with high gloss and low porosity, avoids the risk of contamination buildup and reduces particle shedding.
Turcon® FoodPro® compounds are particularly suitable for use in CIP and SIP processes due to its high operating temperatures and media resistance.
- Multipurpose equipment with mixed process streams, where seals are exposed to extremely aggressive cleaning solvents
- Filling machines: Turcon® Variseal® eliminates contamination
- Coffee machines: high abrasion resistance and low friction
Zurcon® Engineered Plastic
Zurcon® is the brand name for the Trelleborg Sealing Solutions range of engineered plastic based materials, including PEEK and UHMWPE.
Zurcon® FoodPro® Z81
Zurcon® FoodPro® is ideal for reciprocating, very slow rotating and oscillating applications, where high wear resistance is required, including applications with abrasive media and countersurfaces. The material is ideal for a variety of food processing applications, such as filling machines, valves, pumps, mixers, separators, homogenizers, centrifuges, dosage cylinders, and sensors.